Thursday, September 14, 2006

 

Restaurant #16: Sam Wo


On Clay, just above Grant. ***** (out of 5)
This place is kind of famous. It's the "insider's choice" for locals in Chinatown. Not just Chinatown locals, mind you.
I was joined by former co-worker C. Gomez. We walked up the stairs past the kitchen. It's a very narrow space and there are two or three floors with tables. Behind C. Gomez you'll see the windows. They let in light and a whole lot of air.
We started off with the combination won ton soup - which was delicious. The broth tasted like raw onion steeped in warm water - but in a good way. C. Gomez and I discussed kids. She and her family just moved back to the Bay Area from Texas, where they built a house out of prairie sod, roped longhorns and voted republican (I assume).
I noticed that the rice bowl had a charming chip on its rim. Let's see P.F. Chang's put chips on their rice bowls. This is authentic Chinatown character. Soon the world will be destroyed by robots. Robots with dings and imeperfections and they will all be as soulful and "authentic" as Sam Wo. It will be "Chinatown Planet" (I assume).

Here's a picture of I, your author, as I thought these thoughts. Savor my prescience.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?